What is a Membership Site? How To Create a Membership Site?
A membership site is a private website, with exclusive content available only to the signed up members.It usually provides members with the ability to interact with each other.
Membership sites work on subscriptions. A user pays a monthly fee, an automatic payment except if they cancel it, and gets access to your content.
But Membership sites are a really interesting concept, and especially when it comes to finding a unique way to deliver premium content to your audience or customers. For Example: Udemy
levels of access in Membership Sites:
Not all subscribers are the same. While you could have a standard fee for everyone, you could also have different levels of access. There are many recipes for a successful membership site.
Types of Membership Sites
- Community and Networking
- Content suitable for membership sites
- Online Courses
- Books / eBooks
- Nutritional Advice
- Fitness Training
- Webinars and chats
Skills Required –
- In-depth knowledge of any particular niche.
- Ability to research new things and constantly generate new and helpful content.
Time Required For Creating A Membership Site –
Depends on the domain expertise of the creator. For more info on creating a membership site do Google search for Matthew Woodward’s tutorial on how to create a membership site for free.
- In the beginning keep the fee for joining the membership site ridiculously low. Aim to create a minimum viable product instead of creating a perfect product. You can always improve your site in later stages.
- If you’ve never been a part of any membership site till now, consider joining a few related to your niche. Study those sites.
- Find what’s working well for you and other members of that site? What’s makes it worth the monthly fee and how could you replicate this?
- Interact and engage with members. Your membership site shouldn’t be the one that only drip feeds the content, with little or no input from the owner.
- You must provide insider access for your members who want to communicate with you.Even if you’re busy, you must spend at least half an hour a day to get involved with your membership site.
- You can do this by many ways, such as you can interact with the members answer their questions or even lead an interaction inside the forum.
- Run group events and challenges to increase members’ engagement with your site. Organize regular events, challenges, or similar.Make it easy for members to participate.
- Offer prizes, display leader-boards or similar such things creates a great incentive for members to participate and get involved.
- Periodically review what’s working and what isn’t. Try to adapt the site based on the member’s’ needs.For e.g. If you offer most of your content in text format but your members are engaging more with the video content then shift from text-based to video content.
- Try to introduce new initiatives and see how your audience is responding to it. Such as live Q&A calls or similar.But be careful, don’t overwhelm members with several different initiatives at once. Introduce one thing at a time.
How To Monetize a Membership Site?
There are countless ways to make money from a website. However, the main factor in deciding whether or not a website will make money is based on how much traffic it’s getting. Without traffic it will be impossible to make any money.
But in membership sites monetization is very simple. More members sign up to your website more income you generate from the monthly fees that members pay.